Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins

Not the pithiest name out there, is it? This recipe jumped to the top of my ever-growing list when I saw it on the blog And then I do the dishes. I've been looking for some healthy muffins to make for on-the-go breakfasts, and this one fit the bill. To my personal taste, it's still a little too sweet for my average breakfast, but that doesn't mean I won't grab one if I'm in a rush. All it really means is that I'm just as likely to grab it for a late-night snack...

I made these with old-fashioned oats, not quick-cooking. I'm pretty sure it resulted it a slightly chewier muffin, but it was still soft - no dense bran-like muffins here. I love baking recipes that use applesauce - I find they result in a really nice, moist finished product, and there's just something so healthy-seeming about it. Which allows me to add some extra chocolate chips.

No liner! A nice, hearty, naked muffin...

I'm copying And then I do the dishes' recipe and directions pretty much verbatim, which I'm not quite sure of the blogging ethics of, but at least this is full disclosure. Head on over there for much prettier pictures!

Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins Recipe (adapted from Sweet Savory Southern)
Makes 16 muffins

1 1/2 C oats (either quick-cooking or regular, but accept it may change the consistency slightly)
1 1/2 C buttermilk 2 eggs, beaten 3/4 C packed brown sugar 1/4 C vegetable oil 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce 2 teaspoons vanilla 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 3/4 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt Handful of chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a muffin tin (or use muffins cups, but I just never see the point). In a bowl, soak oats in buttermilk for 15 minutes. Stir in eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into oat mixture just until moistened. Fill prepared muffin tin three-fourths full. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, if using. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

No comments: